Ursuline Convent, Trois-Rivieres
Convent of the Ursulines, Trois-Rivières
In the late 17th century, Trois-Rivières still had no teaching or hospital communities. Teaching was done by the missionaries, school masters or notaries.
In 1697, the second bishop of Québec, Monseigneur de Saint-Vallier, asked the Ursulines to found a convent in Trois-Rivières where the nuns would assume the dual roles of educators and caregivers.
Three nuns from Québec arrived on October 10, 1697: Mother Marie Drouet de Jésus, first superior of the Ursulines of Trois-Rivières, Mother Marie Le Vaillant de Sainte-Cécile, assistant and Sister Françoise Gravel Sainte-Anne, nun. The small group of founders were accompanied by the chaplain and the superior of the Québec monastery, Mother Marie Lemaire des Anges, who became the second superior in Trois-Rivières. They were taken to the governor’s residence on the Platon, where they remained until 1699, when they moved into the Monastery on Rue Notre-Dame, now called Rue des Ursulines.